At first I tried simple tree designs on illustrator and came up with these:
The designs are simple but I wasn’t happy with them, especially the colours, so I tried a different approach. But I did like the shapes for the tree bush as children aged 4-5 are learning about shapes and circles/squares/triangles are the basic shapes they learn.
I looked at many styles and I really liked the style below:
It feels free and not constrained, simple, pretty and fun. I thought It was the perfect inspiration for my pop-up book and appealing to children.
I used Adobe Illustrator to create the shapes and I love how they turned out. I like the composition and use of basic shapes for children to relate to and learn from. Next I had to add colour and I wanted to use a pastel colour palette due to the research on children and colour effects.
I loved the colour choice and I added the squiggle style as influenced by the inspiration image above. One of my supervisors said it reminded them of the solar system.
I started putting the designs together in the format of my circle pop-up piece and using the simple tree shapes I illustrated before, I re-used them and change the colour and style. The clouds were influenced by the Powerpuff Girls style.
I knew I wanted to include a cute little colourful fence so I illustrated the outside lines and coloured them in using Photoshop to experiment and decide on a final palette. I decided to go with the rainbow colours, again teaching children the basics of what they learn during Primary 1. I thought It would be more cute and appealing by making the fence have little animals on them.
I put the grass and fence on at the same time to see if they would work well together along with the trees. The fence will be a pop-up piece so it won’t be printed on the background.
I created tree branches to stick onto either sides of the pop-up piece as one of my pop-ups. This piece is important as one of the cube extras will be interacting with it. I designed some bushes too which are pop-ups too.
Final Design Template
I included glue tabs to ensure enough space is provided for the glue and strength to stay in place.