Building My Pop-Up Scene

I printed out my template, cut the shapes out and stuck them in the right places. Before I finalised my template, this is how my pop-up scene was turning out:

I really am happy of how it was coming along. I added in some origami animals and leaves to give it more ‘pop’ with the bright colours. This scene was created using an A4 sheet. The size is a quarter of a full circle on an A4 sheet.

Feedback

I showed my supervisor this experiment and they liked it, but he thought it would be better to make the colours brighter and consider actual size I plan on having this pop-up book to be. Another supervisor told me that he thought there was too much colour and he would prefer about only 2/3 colours with different shades of it. He also suggested contrasting the floor and the background and also the pop-up pieces to distinguish them. However, as this piece is aimed towards children I really wanted to add lot’s of colours to appeal to them and it is my style. I plan on making the colours brighter to make it ‘pop’.

My supervisor was also suggesting using heavier paper weights to experiment on the strength and making the fold in flap in the middle stay down, as when you open this piece up, the middle part stays up slightly. What I could do is stick something on the bottom of the piece to keep it down, or at the end of year show I could have the 4 sections stuck down in place with another pop-up book on the side for people to pick up and open up for themselves.

Printing

I need to look for a printing company that prints the best quality and uses a heavy paper weight. I printed A3 sheets with my template and the quality wasn’t that great.

Cutting

My main piece is circular and it’s too difficult to cut the shape perfectly so I will need a circle protractor or something similar to cut the perfect shape. The other parts I will be using scissors/Stanly knife, but I need a method that will cut them perfectly.

Advertisements

Acetate Progress

Cutting the Acetate

I started cutting out my tree/leaves from the acetate sheet using scissors and it work well as the sheet is only 0.1mm in thickness. For the final pieces for my project I think I’ll use a Stanly knife for precision, but for now I’m just quickly experimenting.

Clear Plastic Packaging

I think you can get thicker acetate sheets, but this is the thickest the shop had them in. My supervisor also suggested possibly using the clear plastic that is usually used to package toys/boxes and they would be much thicker.

Clear Plastic Packaging

The acetate sheets I have at the moment seem to be strong enough to not flop over when I hold them from the bottom corner. As for the tree trunk, I think I will have to use thick card to support the weight of the acetate.

Shape of the images

I was planning on cutting round the images into a circle, but it didn’t look right and quite bulky, especially when I tried layering the pieces on top of each other. I decided to cut round the leaves roughly to get rid of the extra unnecessary acetate. It worked out much better.

Layering the images & Gluing

I messed about with the pieces to work out which leaves worked best together when layered on top of each other. When I was satisfied it was time to glue them together. But what should I use to glue them because the acetate is clear, so you would be able to see the glue as well.

Note: Gluing on the rough side of the acetate sheet works better as the glue has grip.

Acetate Layers, Cut and Glue

Top Left – I plan on using this piece for sticking on origami flowers and leaves and see if it works well.

Top Right – this is a single layer of acetate, I wanted to see if the image would work well with just one layer, but after testing the layering, I found it more interesting and more dynamic.

Bottom left – First I tried using the 3D transparent Dots I bought yesterday and they are clear, however, you can see it as if it were squishy glue. But the glue dot works really well, it sticks the two pieces of acetate together instantly.

Bottom Right – Next I tried using ‘Anita’s Tacky Glue’ which dries colourless, but you have to wait about 30 minutes for a little dap of the glue to dry colourless. Make sure you leave it alone as it dries or the acetate will shift and the glue will spread.

Anita's Tacky Glue

Solution

I think I will cover up the glue mark with part of the tree trunk/branch or even origami leaves/flowers. I don’t think you can get glue which is clearer than acetate so I plan on covering up the glue.

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email!