Character Beauty Shots

I rendered some beauty shots of my main origami characters and origami cube characters from 3D Studio Max:

Quick Character Design Idea

I brought in one of my 3D Max renders and put it into illustrator and quickly added some of the characters features to see how they could turn out. The base colour was rendered out through Max so I haven’t put a texture on it yet, so the colour shown is only a guide. When I texture the characters they will be paper textured to reveal creases, just like how the characters turn out when folded.

My 3D Characters

When I first modelled my puffy bunny character it was influenced by the origami bunny I made so I modelled the front triangular parts:

But when I modelled the rest of the characters after the origami models I made, they didn’t have the front triangular parts which made the characters not seem to have a consistent style as you can see below:

Bunny With Front Flaps Only

I took out the front parts from the bunny and it worked out much better:

Flaps in the same place

Another thing I noticed was how the flaps on the side were too thin and they were not shaping right. You can see below that they look like thin planes attached to a cube. I also modelled flaps on the bottom but I realised it meant that I was going over the 2,000 polygons count limit for Junaio AR use so I took them out. They also weren’t necessary either as you won’t see the bottom of the 4 main characters.

Flaps in the same place

All the characters had flaps on their side but when I made all the characters using origami techniques, only two of the characters had flaps on their side. To make the bunny and the panda the flaps remained on their side, whilst the cat and the chick had their flaps on the top to keep their ears/fluff in place.

The bunny modelling adjustment meant I also had to remake the origami bunny so that the front parts do not appear, I will upload the images of my origami characters soon. But for now below you can see how it will turn out, the ears now start in the middle forming a central point rather than being spread apart.

Bunny With no Front Flaps

I had to thicken the flaps and add more polygons around the flaps to add more shape and structure.

Modelling

When I model my characters I model half the model as it is usually symmetrical. The chick was a bit difficult as the fluff was placed in the middle of the model. I modelled half the model with the fluff attached and then added a symmetry modifier and deleted the extra fluff which copied along with the other half of the model.

When I modelled the nurse cap I used a chamfer box, deleted half of it and half again to leave me with a quarter of the chamfer box. I started extruding from here and then added symmetry modifier twice to make the whole model appear. I placed ‘edit poly’ on top of the stack and altered the front and back of the nurse cap to make it look similar to the origami model. The origami fireman hat I made does nt have the badge on it but I managed to make the hat with one square piece of paper. I will either have the badge printed on the piece of paper before it is folded or try to figure out an origami badge to place on the hat.

Graphics on the Origami Paper

I think it would be a good idea to take note of the faces and ear positions etc of the origami models and unfold them and see where the positions are on the unfolded model. This means I can place graphics there such as eyes, mouth, the panda’s head mirror, the fireman badge so that when children make them the graphics are already there. I could also leave plain paper for them and they can draw their own faces if they wish to.

The fireman hat was modelled similarly to the nurse cap and I added a plane and shaped it into the fireman badge which is usually on the front of the hats

All the characters have meshsmooth applied to them.

The bunny had 1,962 polygons in total

The Cat had 1,960 polygons including her nurse cap

The panda had 1,772 polygons

The chick had 2,000 polygons including the fireman hat and the badge

Here is how my little cube characters turned out:

A Problem

I realised my characters have to have a mouth so they can speak and have a lip sync so I need to figure out how it will look. I also have to work around the 2k polygon limit, especially in the case of the chick having 2,000 polygons already!

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email!